All this rain puts me in a baking mood (not hard to do really). Today I wanted to make a delicious sandwich bread with some oats. So, I altered another bread recipe and here’s the result. I was very happy with this bread, so I thought I’d share it : )
Vegan Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
What you need (for 2 loaves):
- 2 Cups of Warm Water
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil (I used Canola Oil)
- 2 Tbsp (2 packages) Dry Yeast (I used Instant/Bread Machine Yeast)
- 4 Tbsp Sugar (sounds a lot, but supposedly it helps the bread rise)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 1/2 Cup Flour (Start with 4 1/2 Cups and if dough is too sticky add a little more as needed)
- 1 Cup Oats (Rolled Oats)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add warm Water, Yeast, Sugar and Oil to a large bowl. Mix well and let rest for 10-15 minutes, until foamy:
- Add the Salt and Oats.
- Stir your Flour with a fork or whisk (to loosen it up), then measure the flour. Add one cup at a time, mixing dough well. After adding the 4 1/2 cups of Flour your dough should still be very sticky, but not sticking to the bowl. At this point I kneaded the dough by hand for a few minutes and added a touch more flour.
- Grease or line a cookie sheet.
- Cut dough in half and form dough into 2 loaves (you might have to put some flour on your hands to do this), and place on to cookie sheet.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 25 minutes.
- With a sharp knife cut a few slits in each loaf, as pictured below:
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until they are nice and golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.