When it comes to chili – we tend to think of ground beef or other beef chili. Or perhaps white chili, made with chicken. But chili doesn’t have to include meat at all. Isn’t it the flavor and comfort of the meal we are after? The spicy and smoky heat of chili powder, cumin, garlic, paprika, combined with beans and tomato sauce. In this Vegan Chili, you get all the wonderful flavors, just without the meat! Yay for beans and all the protein! And did I mention, it is super quick and easy to create this dish?! Of course, if you have the time, the chili will taste even better the longer you let it simmer.
Quick & Easy Vegan Chili
What you need (for about 4 servings):
- 2 cans (15 oz) of Beans (I used Kidney Beans & Black Beans)
- 1 can (15 oz) of Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (or a whole if you wish, just so happened half of mine was no good)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup of Maple Syrup (I love the sweet and heat combo, but if you don’t – simply don’t use)
- Chili spices – I used Chipotle Chili powder, Cumin, Paprika (about 1/4 tsp each)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil
- Desired Toppings. A great Vegan choice would be some sliced Avocado. I went the vegetarian route and served with Sour Cream and Shredded Cheese
What to do:
- In medium sized pot or pan – heat olive oil over medium heat
- Peel and finely chop onion. Add to pot – stir. Let cook for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent
- Open cans of beans (drain off most liquid) and can of tomato
- Peel and finely chop garlic – add to onion. Stir for a minute
- Add tomatoes and beans to pot
- Season with salt & pepper. Start with little ( you can always add more)
- Add chili seasonings. I used 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 paprika. This was plenty spicy for me, in fact I added some water at this point. But maybe I’m just a whimp
- If you like the sweet and spicy combo – add the syrup. I used 1/4 cup, but you could do less of course.
- Stir and let simmer for as long as you have the patience. If you think it’s too thick – add some water
- Serve with desired toppings and maybe some cornbread or crusty French or Italian bread. Yum!
Super, super easy – and quick Vegan Chili. And delicious. And healthy. And you can add that to your Vegan Repertoire – to impress your Vegan self, your Vegan friends, or your Vegan boss.
Enjoy! Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions : )