Shall we call this Meaty Tuesday? Whatever we call it – it’s time to indulge our Hamburger Cravings! I hardly ever eat red meat (as you may have noticed), but sometimes I just HAVE to have a burger. For these amazing Grilled Onions and Mushroom Cheese Burgers, I am using organic ground beef (1 package for 8 small burgers) – and Naan bread in lieu of a boring dry bun. For once, I had some potatoes at home – so I made some fries too. My, not so impartial, husband claimed it was the best burger he has ever had : ) . I thought it was pretty darn good too.
Grilled Onions and Mushroom Cheese Burgers With Homemade Fries
What you need (for 8 small or 4 larger burgers):
- About a pound (1 pckg) Organic Ground Beef
- 1 pckg or about 2 cups Mushrooms ( I used Crimini)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 4-6 medium sized Potatoes (such as Russet)
- Toppings and Condiments (Lettuce, Tomato, Mayo, Ketchup etc.)
- Canola or Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Naan Bread (or traditional Hamburger Buns or Sourdough Bread)
- 4ish slices of Cheese, I used a creamy Havarti (I used about half a slice on each)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Scrub potatoes and cut lengthwise in to 1/4 inch sticks. Add to lined or greased baking sheet. Toss with about 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil. Season with salt. Bake at 450 F for about 30-40 minutes (until golden and crispy)
- Peel and slice onion into half moons. Wash and slice mushrooms. Grill/Sauté onions and mushroom over medium heat, in a couple of tbsp. butter and olive oil, for 10-20 minutes. Turn down heat if it starts to burn.
- Divide ground beef into 4 or 8 patties. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Cook burgers over medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes per side. When almost cooked through, add the cheese. Then add lid (or some tinfoil) for a minute – for the cheese to melt.
- Toast your Naan bread (or whatever bread you are using).
- Add desired condiments and build your burgers.
This took more than my usual 30 minutes, but it was still pretty fast. And it came out great. Yes – it’s red meat, but it’s ORGANIC and we control the salt added. And there are no funky preservatives here – just fresh quality ingredients. If you start with quality ingredients – it’s not hard to get a tasty meal. Certainly these Grilled Onions & Mushroom Cheese Burgers are superior to anything you could buy at a fast food restaurant.
Please let me know if you liked it and let me know your versions! Remember to share this recipe with your friends and on your social networks : )