I have bought many tortillas over the years, most less than wonderful. There are these “homemade” tortillas at Trader Joe’s that look pretty authentic, and that is fine to buy those. But you know, with just a few ingredients (flour, oil, salt & water) you can make homemade tortillas within 30 minutes.
Easy Homemade Tortillas – No Lard
What you need (for about 10 small tortillas):
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 3/4 Cup of Water
What to do:
- In medium bowl – mix flour and salt. Then add oil and water. Stir, mix, and knead until you have a smooth ball of dough
- Divide dough into about 10 sections – then shape into golf size balls.
- Put dough balls back in bowl and then cover with damp paper towel
- Place non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Roll out one ball at a time, using a rolling pin (or cup or glass), on a floured surface, as thin as you can into a roundish shape
- Cook tortilla a couple of minutes on each side, until blistery (when one is cooking start rolling out your next tortilla).
- Wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm and soft (or in a tortilla warmer if you have one)
This recipe was found on http://homemadeforelle.com