I happen to love brown rice – chewy, nutty, and it goes with almost anything. It’s only a bonus that it’s also rich in fiber AND gluten free. I call this Brown Rice, Mushroom and Spinach a side dish, but I would happily devour this as my only main course. I did actually serve it along side some drumsticks (recipe to follow in separate post), but that was more for my family than me. They need their protein : ) I added some butter, but obviously you could choose to use only a vegetable oil and you would have a vegan meal.
Easy Brown Rice, Mushroom, and Spinach Side Dish
What you need (for about 3-4 servings):
- 2-3 cups of cooked Brown Rice
- 1 package or about 2 cups of sliced Crimini Mushrooms
- 2-3 big handfuls of Fresh Spinach
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- (1-2 tbsp. Butter)
- Salt & Pepper
What to do:
- In skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil (and butter if using) – after about a minute add mushrooms. Sautee mushrooms for about 5-10 minutes. Add more fat (oil or butter) if it gets to dry.
- Add salt & pepper to taste (you could add one or two chopped or pressed garlic cloves at this point).
- Add the brown rice – stir to combine.
- Add fresh spinach – stir until spinach is wilted.
- Serve as a side dish or enjoy on its own : )
I served this delicious rice with some drumsticks:
Today is the day after Mother’s Day – so a little late I wish you had a happy one. I did – as it was spent with my husband Kevin, and my kids Maja and Kaj.