Yay for Meatless Monday! I would love to go all Vegetarian, but I don’t think my family is in favor. But, Mondays I can legitimately push my Veggie agenda : ). Not that we are big meat eaters in this family, but anyways…So, today/tonight I thought Quiche sounded good. A Crustless Spinach and Mushroom Quiche, because who really needs the fatty crust? Not I. The added benefit is – that it makes the quiche gluten free. Or you can look at it this way – now you can serve the quiche with a salad and some nice crusty French or Italian bread, with less carb-guilt.
Crustless Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
What you need:
- 1 Portobello Mushroom (or 1 package of Cremini or Button Mushrooms)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2-3 cups Fresh Spinach
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 1/2 – 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease your baking dish (round or rectangular does not matter)
- Heat olive oil and butter in pan over medium heat, on stove top
- Peel and slice onion in half moons
- Add onion to pan and give it a stir
- Wash and chop mushrooms. Add to onion.
- Sautee onion and mushrooms for about 5 minutes – until tender
- Peel and chop or press garlic. Add to onions and mushrooms. Stir to combine for a minute
- Add flour and stir. Cook for about one minute (to get rid of flour taste)
- Add milk and stir. Let come to a boil for about a minute or two – to thicken. Season with salt & pepper.
- Tear spinach somewhat before adding to pan. Stir for about a minute – until spinach is wilted. Take pan off heat.
- In a separate bowl – whisk the eggs. Add cheese to the eggs. Stir to combine.
- Transfer onion, spinach and mushroom mixture to greased baking dish. Then slowly add egg mixture. Stir – just to combine.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 375 F.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.
Serve with a salad and enjoy : )
Happy Meatless Monday!