I love Greek Yogurt! Not the nonfat kind – it has to be at least 2% or Whole Milk version for my liking – to get the creamy taste and texture. If you use the creamier version you won’t need to add too much sugar, to make up for the lack of fat. That’s just my little opinion. This Greek Yogurt Blueberry and Lemon Cake was very much inspired by this recipe: http://juliasalbum.com/2014/07/blueberry-greek-yogurt-cake/ . I made a few minor alterations – for example I added lemon, added more vanilla and a couple of other changes. Anyway, this cake is super easy to make and comes out extremely moist and delicious thanks to the Greek Yogurt. I try to use organic ingredients as much as possible, the better your ingredients, the better the end result.
What you will need:
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Stick/8 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 2/3 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup of Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 – 1 Cup of Blueberries (I used frozen)
- Zest of One Lemon
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease or line a round cake pan
- In small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest
- In medium bowl beat/mix butter and sugar (with hand mixer or wooden spoon) until airy. Then add vanilla and egg. Beat/mix until creamy.
- Add Greek Yogurt – mix/stir until well combined.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time, stir until just combined. Then add to cake pan. Sprinkle blueberries on top of cake batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until toothpick or sharp knife comes out dry/clean
- After cake has cooled down a bit – feel free to sprinkle with some powdered sugar : )
I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I did! If you want even more lemony flavor – add a tablespoon of lemon juice to your wet ingredients. Raspberries would also work very well in this recipe. Or – if you prefer – just lemon and no berries. You can definitely play around with this simple recipe.